My Name is Jessabelle, and I Enjoy Dailies
I'm in the sort of field where I spend a lot of time doing data entry. You know, that mind numbingly boring repetitive stuff that everyone hates doing? The reason why I'm actually quite good at it is that I *don't* find it mind numbingly boring.

Larisa over at the Pink Pigtail Inn has made it very clear multiple times that she hates grinding... whether it be reputation grinds, or daily grinds, and I can completely understand why so many people hate that. The thing is... I don't... and sometimes I'm actually somewhat embarrassed by it. After all, Larisa calls herself a moron for it... what does that say about ME? Eeek!

So why don't I get bored and hate it? Having always been the kind of person who enjoyed entertaining myself with whatever I happened to have in front of me, I turn those boring tasks into challenges.

I'm the speediest woman on a ten-key I've ever met due to all that boring data entry I've done in my life. I type faster than a speeding bullet. And I can clear 20 dailies in under an hour - 2 if I'm distracted.

I know most folks love to test out their dps numbers on a dummy, and I do realize that gives a much better indicator of boss dps... but to me, dpsing on a dummy seems like something of a waste of time (but then again, this is also because I'm always healing in raids). I would rather do it while doing my dailies. Why grind for cloth for tailoring when I can get it while doing dailies? Why buy eternals on the AH, when I can get them while working on dailies? Why buy things to DE if I get so many silly green items while running dailies? Herb farming? Dailies, again.

I challenge myself over and over. Just how quickly can I get these dailies done? How many mobs can I take and AoE grind at the same time? Can I do all my dailies without emptying my bags once until I'm done?

Why would I ever be embarrassed about this? It comes from that one adjective - mind-numbing. The fact that I enjoy doing dailies tends to suggest that I enjoy mind-numbing tasks that don't require me to think - or rather, that I do not enjoy doing things that DO require me to think.

Of course, I've already explained why that is not the case for me, but I'm sure there are others who are like me... right? It's certainly not that I'm not a creative person. Hell, I'm a writer, a sometimes-musician, a cartographer, and someone who enjoys painting and drawing more than most. I enjoy puzzles and challenges - I'm not brain dead!

I like to multi-task, and I can do that while running dailies. I can chat with others, or watch TV... or even play Civilization on another monitor. To be quite honest, most of the time I much prefer running dailies to grinding instances, unless there is something specific I want from the instance - which is rare. I don't need anymore Emblems of Conquest, I have the Culling of Stratholme mount, most people don't seem interested in doing the achievements... I'm just plain overgeared for them, and there are still plenty of things I want to buy with gold and Champion's Seals!

So stop judging me just because I like doing dailies, and I'll stop judging you simply because you don't want to make the effort to get exalted with Sons of Hodir!!! :P
5 Responses
  1. M Says:

    ha ha ha... freak.

    I think I could give you a run for your money in typing... but you did say fastest woman.

    I dated a girl once who thought fast typing was sexy. It was sort of odd because she liked to watch me type over IM and stuff because I was fast. I didn't know how to feel about it; it was almost sort of awkward, but cool in that nerdy way of a gamer that finally finds out they're good at something. Similar to when we bloggers figure out someone actually reads us and then /blush about it for three days straight. You know, like that.

    In any case, I'm not sure if Fuu truly appreciates my fast fingers.

    Oh yeah, and you're not as much of a freak as I'd like to call you... I'm sort of the same way when I need to get something from a grind (rep, money, etc). As long as there is like "an end goal" for me, I'm okay with it and try to do the same things you mentioned.


  2. I don't find dailies incredibly mind numbingly boring, it's just that I don't want to spend time on WoW doing stuff I don't actively enjoy. So while I don't mind doing dailies, I'd rather spend the time outside of WoW.


  3. @Ful

    I'm not sure what to say. The girl you dated sounds like something in a weird fetish story, which is odd for me to think about in the middle of a work day. Hm.

    @Shop

    Absolutely - if you don't enjoy it, then I say don't do it - after all, it's a game, not a job. I guess what I meant was... for some reason I *do* enjoy it!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Pst! No effort required anymore. Rep grinds being nerfed next patch.

    I actually don't mind dailies either. Actually I usualyl start hating them but then they grow on me after the 5th time i've done them. I think its like how hostages start feeling compassion for their captors over time.

    :-) Gobble gobble.


  5. Fido Says:

    one word to make up for my sons of hodir rep:
    Inscription ;)

    I'm one of the ppl who does find doing dailies boring. But if it's with a goal, like with the SSO dailies back then or Sons of Hodir, I don't mind doing them But as soon as I'm exalted, No Way you can get me into doing dailies :P I'm making enough gold of selling stuff on AH.

    Respect for playing 2 games at the same time AND setting new records by the way. ^^


Creative Commons License
Miss Medicina by Miss Medicina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at missmedicina.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at missmedicina.blogspot.com.