Random Friday Tidbits vol 2
It was pointed out to me by a couple of people that I didn't have a blog archive up. I have no idea when and why it disappeared, but it has now made a grand reentrance. Obviously you won't see it through a feedreader, so you'll actually have to pop on through to see it. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Tam gave me the gift of syph. Results are incoming.

So several other people have contributed to the Divine Aegis vs Power Word: Shield testing (see the comments), and they all seem to have come up with results similar to mine (That Divine Aegis is used up before Power Word:Shield). If you've done some testing of it yourself and can provide combat log data for me, I will post it for others to give more practical evidence to our skeptical theory crafters (skepticism = good!).

Also, Soluna asked in the comments section: "would it be reasonable to theorize that the shield with the lowest duration is used first?" and I will answer that here. I thought that as well, but though I did not post the testing I did on that particular topic, I did test that by proccing Divine Aegis just before my power word: shield wore off, and DA was still used up before PW:S. However, this was incredibly difficult to test well due to the exactness of timing, which is why I didn't post it (since it was very easy to do it improperly). If you are able to test this and confirm, please let me know.

Today is my last day at my internship, and then I get to breathe a sigh of relief and update all my guides - especially as I now have a lot more experience with the Disc aspect of priest healing. I used to think that Disc Priests were only really for single target healing, but now I know better, and I want my guide to reflect that.

Last night was my first foray into ICC10 man! We only spent two hours in there, but we were able to two shot Marrowgar, and get in a few solid tries on Lady Deathwhisper. I hadn't expected us to get that far in such a short time, to be honest, so I was not completely prepared for Deathwhisper. We had a lot of fun learning how all the trash worked, since I had only looked up boss guides. It was a nice challenge. Also, if you are doing ICC10, and haven't brought a rogue in yet... you should try it. There are some special little things Rogues can do in the first room - but I won't spoil it for you :)

Thanks to lots of help from some fellow bloggers via twitter and my genius fiance, I was able to get World of Logs up and running last night for our ICC10 run. I made it work, but I don't really know how to interpret the results. Also, for some reason it doesn't show our Marrowgar kill :( Also, my recount is not working 80% of the time now for some reason. I find that really frustrating as I'm only just starting to learn how to properly interpret the healing meters, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Along both those veins, I am putting out a general call to my fellow bloggers (especially you healers) - I can't tell you how much I would appreciate an idiot's guide to reading and interpreting log parsing results. Right now, for the most part, it's just a great big jumble to me.
8 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Last night was a TON of Fun!

    Fuubaar was on Aggressive Tank mode. I felt really bad for the other tank because he probably was like:

    "Wow, Snottydin is tanking now?"

    I can solo tank this ;)


  2. @fuu

    I thought you were in awesome form last night. I wanted to shriek into vent "OKAY EVERYONE BUT FUU SHUT UP. Okay Fuu, go ahead."

    Also, Radir sent me a tell and said he was worried that he kept taunting off of you and I was like, dude, Fuu is hardcore, she can yank that shiznat back, I wouldn't worry. He also mentioned that he felt a lot of the first phase of ICC could be single tanked. I think this is potentially true on Marrowgar (seeing as how you basically did that lol) if you have some plate wearing DPS, but once we hit phase 2 on Deathwhisper and get touch of insignificance, I don't think that will be the case, hm.

    Wow i totally just digressed.

    The point is, you were particularly awesome last night.


  3. Ophelie Says:

    Seri from Snarkcraft wrote a really good series some time back on how to read heal meters on WWS. It's not exactly the same as WoL, but the essentials are there.

    http://snarkcraft.wordpress.com/tag/wws/

    When it comes to healing meters, I find I don't get much out of them unless I'm looking for something in particular. Was someone not carrying their weight? Were there too little or too many healers on one target? Was the dispeller doing his job?

    How to read the meters really depends on which questions you want to answer.


  4. @ophelie

    Hey thanks! That's great... I might actually switch to WWS just so I can understand it better then.

    Aside from just wanting to see all the cool info from the fight, I also like to start out with three healers when we are learning fights, and then switch a healer to DPS once we have it down. I'm hoping looking at the logs will give me a better idea of when we are ready for "the switch".

    I'm also rather anxious to see how my heals stack up next to different types of healers for comparison values.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    WWS did a really poor job of keeping up with the new content...and last we used them didn't account for disc priest shields, which both WoL and WMO both do. So, unless it's changed, I don't think you will get what you want from WWS :)

    I'd stick with WoL. Upyursh did a nice bit on reading the meters (I think) that you can check out. Otherwise just some good old fashioned exploring should learn ya what you need to know! :)

    And yay for an archive!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Hrm.... I don't actually run with a Disc priest (other than my alt, which I used for the testing), but a good way to test durations would be to pair a healadin's Sacred Shield with PW:S to see which dropped first! I can try to hunt down our one (1! GAWD) Holy priest to try it out, but if you get the chance first... LOL


  7. Soluna Says:

    Thanks for answering my last question sooo much! :D

    I'd like to comment on your three healers idea. ALTHOUGH more healers give a damage cushion, more dps makes the fights easier. And by that, I don't just mean faster, but easier in general.

    Examples:
    Lady Deathwhisper's adds go down quicker, which results in less damage dealt, and get through phase 1 quicker.

    Gunship is really the same situation. More dps = Less adds = Less damage required to heal through.

    Deathbringer is less of a clear cut issue, but it is not difficult to keep him from getting only one Mark off before he dies. Especially if you have a disc priest :D


  8. Matticus Says:

    Do not use WWS. They haven't been updated for a while. The two most used (generally accepted) parsing services are World of Logs and WoW Meter Online. Personally, I prefer World of Logs.

    Last year I wrote a lengthy post on how to read and interpret World of Log parses for healers and what the different things mean.

    Start with this: http://www.wow.com/2009/06/18/raid-rx-how-to-read-healing-parses-or-meters/


Creative Commons License
Miss Medicina by Miss Medicina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at missmedicina.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at missmedicina.blogspot.com.